Sightseeing tour “Visit Jelgava!”
Jelgava (old name – Mitau)
- The 4th largest city in Latvia with 60 000 inhabitants
- Largest city in Zemgale region
- Located only 43 km from Riga, capital of Latvia, and 30 km from the border of Latvia and Lithuania
- Former capital city of the Duchy of Courland and Semigallia – 1578–1795
- “City of students” – the home of the Latvia University of Agriculture with more than 6000 students
- Guided tour by bus around Jelgava city, including the most popular places of interest – Jelgava Palace and Family vault of the Dukes of Courland and Semigallia, Holy Trinity Church Tower with a sightseeing platform, longest walking bridge in the Baltics
- Language: English
- Departure: from Riga, June 18, 2015
- Duration: 6 hours (14:00-19:00)
- Meals: hot chocolate in Jelgava Palace and lunch with special dishes of Jelgava
- Price of the tour: 60 euros per person, which includes English speaking guide, transport, entrance to Jelgava Palace and the Family Vault of Dukes of Courland, St. Trinity Church tower and skydeck, hot chocolate in Jelgava Palace
Highlights of the Tour
The Jelgava Palace and the Family vault of the Dukes of Courland and Semigallia – the Jelgava Palace is a beautiful Baroque masterpiece, made by the architect F. B. Rastrelli. Visit the Jelgava Palace history museum and find out more about the “pearl” of Jelgava. You can explore the history of the Dukes’ family and visit their family vault.
Special offer – enjoy hot chocolate, specially made after an old recipe, and listen to the Palace stories told by the “Duchess” and “her court ladies”.
Part of Jelgava Old Town – the block of Vecpilsētas street is the oldest part of the city where remains of wooden buildings are preserved. The district was developing in the 18th and 19th centuries, and luckily was not destroyed during the World War II. It is a place to enjoy the atmosphere of an ancient town
Bell Tower of the Jelgava Holy Trinity Church – interactive history displays of the former church tower will introduce you to the history of Zemgale and Jelgava. From the top of the tower you can explore a breath-taking panorama of Jelgava.
Welcome to Jelgava!